[Samba] CUPS Print Quality -- WAS -- UPDATE Where are the ADOBE PS Drivers?

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 13:05:10 GMT 2004

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 08:29:52 -0400, Sean Millichamp <sean at compu-aid.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 20:49, Michael Lueck wrote:
> > Sean E. Millichamp wrote:

Sean - it sounds like you finally got the CUPS processing print jobs
working using the vendor specific PPD's... Have you noticed any
quality issue with the resulting print job?  The reason I ask, is I
got an HP4 working with the CUPS processing the job.  The quality of
the output is noticeably poor compared to the actual windows driver
printing RAW through CUPS (it looks almost like the output was created
into a picture and then printed).  Now, I am using the built in CUPS
'HP LaserJet Series' PPD - so that may be the difference (vendor verse
non-vendor PPD)

Can I just clarify that you are using the cupsaddsmb from 1.1.21rc2
but using cups 1.1.20 - and the reason is for its PPD processing to
clean up potential 'bad' postscript generated by the vendor PPD