[Samba] Samab 3.0.6 problems

Patrick patrick at aroaustralia.com
Thu Sep 9 12:55:11 GMT 2004

Running on a Debian server, 3.0r Sid, 2.4.18 kernel.

I recently did an apt-get upgrade which upgraded samba from 3.0.5 to 3.0.6
After this upgrade, access to all shares for all users slowed to a crawl.
It was possible to browse the folders, to 3-4 folders deep but then
Explorer would freeze on the client.Opening files failed. Copying files
locally resulted in corrupt files.

Clients included WinXP, Win2K and Linux using samba client.

I uninstalled and reconfigured the workgroup with the same results. I back-
revved Samab to 3.0.5 with the same smb.conf file and the network is now
running again.

I have noticed a few people post issues with 3.0.6 and I wonder if there is
a bug somewhere? I did run a trace using ethereal - when opening files,
packets just stopped between client and server except for a few keepalives.
The samba logs didn't contain much info for my level of knowledge (debug
level @ 3).

If anyone is interested in identifying a problem, can you propose the debug
level required and if a trace is required. I can install 3.0.6 again for a
while to test.

--
Patrick Ernst
ARO Australia Pty Ltd