[Samba] Best way to update old Mdk box w/2.09 to 3.06??

Doug VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Thu Sep 9 08:01:13 GMT 2004

David Rankin wrote:

>Mates,
>
>    I am at the point that I will have to update my trusty samba 2.0.9 to
>3.0.6 or 2.2.11. (damn SP2)  Problem is that my production machine is still
>running Mandrake 7.2 and, of course, there aren't any RPMs for the old
>distro. So, I guess my option is to install from source. Do I need to rpm -e
>the 2.0.9 before attempting to compile and install 2.2.11 or 3.0.6? My
>server is a simple server that doesn't rely on ldap, kerbose, winbind, etc.
>Does is make sense to go to 3.0.6 instead of 2.2.11? Any pointers or
>gotchas??

I don't know what is the best way, but one can have two
versions on the same machine if one follows certain rules.

Configure a unique --prefix=<path> and install everything
in there.
Right now I have a RH9 with the rpm samba and a reperately
compiled samba svn 3.0 prefix'd to /usr/local/samba3.

Copy the init.d or rc scripts to start/stop the installed samba
to a different name and modify it to point to the devel samba3.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/samba3 to point to the
dynamic libraries.  The loader will look there before using
/etc/ld.so.cache (which points to the old samba).
Change the PATH so the samba3 binaries come first.
Same is true for interactive sessions used to test.

On the weekends, nighttime, stop the production samba and fire up the
test samba.  Use a different netbios name to test.
export the new LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH on interactive sessions.
Test away.  Uncover any migration issues.  Like the format of
smbpasswd changed.
Shutdown the new samba3, restart the old samba.  Start a workday.

Can't help with the migration issues.
Someone else will have to help.

When you finally make the migration change and you don't need to go
back, rpm -e the old samba.

One note, it is critical to have current Kerberos and ldap libraries
or the AD integration either won't configure in or won't have
all the functionality to net ads join and successully interoperate
in native AD mode, so it's good you don't need it.

Regards, Doug