[Samba] Hot to configure Samba 3 as PDC and BDC for a Windows network

Geoff Scott geoffs at guestshire.com
Thu Sep 9 00:12:05 GMT 2004

There is nothing in the samba world relating to PDC and BDC functionality
that is point and click.  You will need to go the hard yards and study
thoroughly how *nix works.  If you really want to follow through on this
then the path that I would recommend is:
Go to www.lpi.org and study the LPIC-1 certification material listed.
This will give you the relevant knowledge to enable you to get out of common
*nix problems.
Some of the free course material out there that is good is written by Daniel
Robbins who is the Chief Architect of Gentoo Linux.  You can find it at
ibm.com/developerWorks

John Terpstra has written the samba 3 by example book which can be found on
the docs section of the samba web page.  Or can be purchased in book form,
I'm sure John would appreciate you purchasing the book as it means he gets
fed. ;-)  That book is excellent:
http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/  Read chapter 6 in
particular: Making users happy

It's faster of course if you go to your relevant mirror.

It doesn't help you understand basic LDAP or DNS though, it just helps you
get up and running.  So as a nice little primer I would recommend reading
the relevant sections in this Suse PDF:
http://www.novell.com/documentation/suse91/pdfdoc/adm91-screen/adm91-screen.
pdf

And also after that the LDAP docs at:  http://www.openldap.org/doc/

Treat Linux and samba like a giant Salami.  It looks horribly greasy and
disgusting from the outside if you attempt to eat it in one hit, but if you
slice it up wafer thin you'll find that each little slice is delicious!  ;-)