[Samba] Best strategy to undo an update

Christian Merrill cmerrill at redhat.com
Wed Sep 8 20:34:07 GMT 2004

Andrew B. Young wrote:

> My http authentication through winbind has stopped working with a Fedora
> Core 2 update of httpd and samba (and others),
>  httpd-2.0.49-4 -> httpd-2.0.50-2.1  & samba-3.0.3-5 ->
> samba-3.0.6-2.fc2
> which I believe is caused by a winbind bug
> (http://us1.samba.org/samba/news/#comingsoon_3.0.7)
>
> What is the best strategy to fix this?  I can think of two:
> 1)      rpm --erase all the samba-*-3.0.6-2.fc2 packages and
>        rpm --install all the samba-*-3.0.3-5 packages
>
>    I have never done this, but suppose it will work.
>
> 2)  download the Samba 3.0.6 source, apply the patch, compile,
> install, & run
>
>    I am worried this will somehow interfer w/ samba-*-3.0.6-2.fc2
> packages
>    preventing me from using the Fedora update in the future.
>
> Thanks,
> Andrw

1 should work quite well, however keep in mind that by doing that you
are going to lose everything in /var/cache/samba (idmaps etc.) so you
may need to reapply permissions on local files.

I'm not sure how 2 will work and I imagine it would cause some confusion
with Fedora's update feature.

Christian