[Samba] Groups not recognized

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Wed Sep 8 16:27:29 GMT 2004

>>>I've got an issue with a fresh (and I mean really fresh) 3.0.5 + ldap server
>>>where doesn't seem to recognize unix group membership.  The server was
>>>2.2.8a last night and things were working.  The unix side works flawlessly,
>>>in other words if I log in as myself I can get where I need to, but under
>>>samba I get nothing.  Here's some supporting info:
>>>

>>Ok, apparently this is a solaris-vs.-LDAP issue.  I've tested with a
>>machine running Solaris 9 12/02 (that I could reboot) and with anything
>>higher than 112960-03 you can't see supplimentary groups, but with -03
>>you can do everything like you want to, although the id command never
>>shows all the groups, but I think that's a solaris-ism.
>>
>>Here's the rub, I've got a Solaris 9 8/03 box that has to be upgraded,
>>but that version is post 112960-03. Does anybody know of a way around
>>this??? I'm not completely averse to ripping out sun's nss library, but
>>that's a little more work than this cat likes to do.
>>

>I think this is bug #395 in bugzilla.samba.org (it's a solaris issue as
>you state).

Is there ANY way to work around this?  I know it's a solaris bug, but it
doesn't seem to be going away in Sol9, I've tested all versions I can
get my hands on with the current patch revs and it's all broken.

We've got at least one server that needs to be upgraded to Samba 3 and
this is a show stopper for it.  If you're running an old version of
solaris you can back down to a compatible patch level, but newer ones
don't let you, and of course backing out patches isn't the bestest thing
in the world if you can avoid it.

I'd love to be able to say that it works on Solaris 10 and go with that,
but Samba doesn't like to compile on 10 atm and the version of samba
they include doesn't include LDAP (as far as I can tell).

Any help is appreciated.

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.