[Samba] Re: 'point-and-print' general questions

Chris McKeever techjedi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 02:26:00 GMT 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:50:39 +0530, sandeep.sundaram at wipro.com
<sandeep.sundaram at wipro.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >I am using SAMBA/CUPS in the raw mode, so each of the printers has its
> own WINDOWS >.drivers ---
>
> >I have been playing with this a bunch - it seems to work when selecting
> APPLY after
> >uploading the drivers - it hangs for a little while, but eventually
> finishes and closes
> >out the dialog box...
>

> One possible reason for this could be that the devmode information
> (Printer specific) might not be available and hence you see that delay
> in the Properties window closing. You could probably confirm this by
> sniffing out the network packets.... You might see repeated "Open
> Printer" and "Get Printer" calls. You might also see an increase in the
> memory usage by the Samba daemons.

I ran an ethereal...granted this is one of the first times using it -
I didnt seem to find anything as straight forward as what you said to
look for.  I did notice that the SMB daemon does crank up on its CPU
load while the conversation is going on.  I tried this all with an HP4
and it seemed to work much smoother - it was when I tried it with a
TOSHIBA that is hangs.  Almost 10 minutes waiting after uploading the
DRIVER files and trying to close out of the window using APPLY .. any
hints on ETHEREAL to packet sniff more telling, or why in general this
hangs??

thanks