[Samba] Win2K and Samba 2.2.5

rruegner robert at ruegner.org
Mon Sep 6 17:16:21 GMT 2004

Hi,
this doesnt sound like a samba problem.
I have noticed equal failures with playing mp3,
in my case i notice that if a connect is interupted , by what failure
ever ( switch network etc ) the player stops playing mp3.
For playing mp3 on a 24 hour i would recommend to use linux
and store the mp3 direct on the playing machine.
( using mp3blaster console , or many other ) maybe a nfs mount would do
it better.
Using real mp3 streaming may also help you out, cause in streaming the
player caches the sound ,so small interupts are not from interest.
Perhaps you should upgrade you samba version
for suse new samba bins are here
for 8.1
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/samba/3.0/i386/8.1/
there are many other possibilities which will work also
what you want
http://www.ampache.org/
http://www.shoutcast.com/
http://www.turnstyle.com/andromeda/
http://www.videolan.org/
http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/
switching to reiser may also help
at last you should upgrade to suse 9.1 and samba 3.06
for many security reasons, also check your cabeling and hubs switches
For win xp i cant say the  behavior playing mps from a samba share is
really different depending on the player ( winamp, media play etc )
so changing the player may help too.
turning on log level high will show you more info in your current setup.
Best Regards