[Samba] Forcing RIDs to desired value

Radek Svoboda svoboda at neovision.cz
Mon Sep 6 07:12:04 GMT 2004

Radek Svoboda wrote:

>> Why don't you use your old samba-databases from /var/lib/samba ?
>>
>> matze
>

> Actually I did. But this copies only SID of the server (stored in
> secrets.tdb), not the RIDs. It seems that samba calculates them by
> the fixed algorithm as 2*UID+1000. And because I must have different
> UIDs on the new system, the profile mapping in Windows does not work.

I found the possibility to force RID using -U option (with full SID and
RID) of pdbedit program. Unfortunately, samba really *DISLIKES* the RIDs
being different from the algorithmic ones:

# smbpasswd someuser
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Unable to modify TDB passwd ! Error: Record does not exist
  occured while storing the RID index (RID_000007da)
Failed to modify entry for user someuser.
Failed to modify password entry for user someuser

Luckily, even with such complaints, the password has been changed
succesfully. Is this normal? No-one is moving samba to different UIDs
server and having similar problems????

                                     Radek Svoboda
                                     Neovision s.r.o., Prague
                                     svoboda at neovision.cz