[Samba] Getting postscript code from windows

Neil Aggarwal neil at JAMMConsulting.com
Sun Sep 5 18:08:14 GMT 2004

Hello:

I have a machine running Fedora Core 2 with an HP Color
LaserJet 2550L printer connected via a USB cable.

Local printing from the fedora machine is just fine.
It uses CUPS.

I am trying to set this printer up using Samba, but I
keep getting postscript code when I try to print from
Windows.

Here is my smb.conf file:
[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        load printers = yes
        idmap gid = 16777216-33554431
        encrypt passwords = yes
        winbind use default domain = no
        template shell = /bin/false
        dns proxy = no
        netbios name = dsl
        printing = cups
        server string = Samba Server
        idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
        os level = 20
        printcap name = /etc/printcap
        security = user
        max log size = 50

[HP]
        postscript = yes
        printer = HP
        printable = yes
        path = /var/spool/samba
        comment = HP Color LaserJet 2550L
        valid users = @samba

I created an account for myself in the samba group on the
server.

I went to my windows machine (running XP Pro).
I added a network printer with the address \\192.168.1.1\HP
and it seemed to go fine.  When it asked for the driver, I
pointed it to the HP 2550 postscript drivers I downloaded from
HP's site.

Any ideas why this is not working?

Thanks,
	Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, JAMM Consulting, (972)612-6056, www.JAMMConsulting.com
FREE! Valuable info on how your business can reduce operating costs by