[Samba] Browsing a across subnets

Lance Levsen lance at catprint.ca
Sat Sep 4 04:41:25 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 20:28, robin-lists at robinbowes.com wrote:
> I have installed SAMBA on Server 2 and would like to be able to browse
> shares on Server 2 from both Client 1 and Client 2.
>
> Can anyone point me at any resources that might help me work this out?

According to O'Reily's "Using Samba" there are 3 rules for browsing
across subnets:

You must have a local master browser on each subnet in the domain.

You must have  a domain master browser somewhere in the domain

You should have a WINS server on the network with each system configured
to use it.

These are generally set with the election process.

domain master browser (ideally the PDC):

[global]
domain master = yes
os level = 255
preferred master = yes
local master = yes
remote browse sync = <space separated ip addy's of other local masters>
(although I'm not sure if the last is necessary on the domain master)

local master browsers:

[global]
preferred master = yes
os level = 33
local master = yes
remote browse sync = <space separated ip addy's of other local masters>

> Thanks,
>
> R.

Cheers,
lance