[Samba] Re: Samba 2.2.8a Compatibility

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 3 08:47:22 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 07:49, Doug VanLeuven wrote:
> Yeah. Well.  AIX is changing pretty fast these days.  Relatively.
> I have 4.3.3, 5.1, and 5.2 platforms mostly because of application
> migration issues.
>
> We're currently running 2.2.8a on all three.  Just make sure you're at
> the most current AIX service release.
>
> This buys time to get the system worked out of migrating to 3.0 with AD
> membership within the available manpower and manhours.  Seems like
> yesterday 3.0 was announced production ready.

No 'yesterday' was when we announced that Samba 2.2 will be end-of-life
in October.  Samba 3.0 has been production-ready for a year now (and
somehow 3.0.0 really did ship without show-shoppers!).

> samba was recompiled under each version release to run on that version
> release.  Don't know if that was necessary or not.  Just to be safe.
>
> Probably should be using 2.2.11, but I've been spending my samba time on
> 3.0.

Well, there are a number of security issues between the two.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net