[Samba] Upgrading from Samba 2.2 to 3 causes WinXP machines to drop off the domain.

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Sep 2 12:46:24 GMT 2004

Adam Luchjenbroers wrote:

>There is a single Linux server which acts as a PDC to a mixed network of
>Win98\WinXP machines. We've recently upgraded from Samba 2.2 (don't have
>exact version number available, the machines run RH7.2 if that helps).
>
>After upgrading to Samba 3.0.6, the WinXP machines need to be re-added to
>the domain. We maintain multiple sites with this configuration and are
>hesitant to roll out this update to other sites until we've fixed this
>issue.

Does your current (2.2) setup have a consistant domain SID across all
your sites?  If you have a way to find it, such as mucking around in the
registry or something perhaps, you can set the domain SID in 3 and then
you'd have a chance, assuming that you migrated your passwd entries over
to whatever passdb you're going to run in 3.

What else is involved here?  I'm sure I'm missing something...

--
Paul Gienger                     Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.