[Samba] LDAP Master/Slave

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 2 03:10:27 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 20:05, Simon Hobson wrote:
> rruegner wrote:

> I've been watching this thread since I'm looking at implementing
> backup servers at two remote sites next week. Could I just clarify
> what I believe happens :
>
> During a network break :
>
> Clients at the remote site will be reliant on the backup servers, but
> for obvious reasons will not be able to update the LDAP server.
>
> During normal operations :
>
> Clients can use any of the servers for authentication etc. If a
> change is made via one of the remote servers, then it is either
> replicated or redirected to the primary LDAP server depending on the
> LDAP setup.

Correct.

Redirected to the primary LDAP server (master) which replicates the
change to the slaves.  This is why we then have a 'ldap replication
sleep' parameter, which is a very crude way to ensure that the local
(slave) server has the data from the update.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net