[Samba] Can't Log on with WinXP

bear james.s.bear at sendit.nodak.edu
Wed Sep 1 18:37:42 GMT 2004

Previously, I wrote that I could not log using WinXP home edition to
Samba 3.02.  I realized that this is slightly untrue.  The truth, I now
realize, is that the machine I am using is the one WinXP Professional
machine I have.  However, it is not set up to log into domains, so I
don't see how that should matter.

The machine's log file looks like this:

  can't open username map %S=*. Error No such file or directory
[2004/09/01 13:26:49, 0] auth/pampass.c:smb_pam_passcheck(810)
   smb_pam_passcheck: PAM: smb_pam_auth failed - Rejecting User bear !

I don't understand this.  It rejects user bear.  I'm user bear and I
have access to everything.  Other users cannot log in either.

What am I missing here?