[Samba] Can't log on

bear james.s.bear at sendit.nodak.edu
Wed Sep 1 15:18:46 GMT 2004

I am running Samba 3.02.
Mandrake Linux 10
About 20 Windows XP Home Edition Machines

I've been running Samba for a couple of years now with no problems, but
now I am experiencing one.  One of my Windows XP Home Edition machines
will simply not log on.  We are running plain text passwords.  We are
not logging into a domain.  It is simply a file server.  We reformatted
this XP machine and suddenly it asks for a username and password and
when you enter it, it asks again...and again...and again...
I've checked that the registry entry for enableplaintextpasswords is set
to 1.  Everything else is as it shoudl be.  Any suggestions?

jim