[Samba] Re: Automatically changing files names

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at ums.usu.ru
Wed Sep 1 01:19:07 GMT 2004

Guy Roussin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have just changed my linux samba server from 2.2 to 3.0 and now i need
> to change all the file name which contain a "sort of apostrophe".
> With samba 3.0, Windows does not accept  this character anymore.
> It appears under  linux with ? or ^Y
>
> I'm looking for a model of shell script which could automatically change
> this character by another in all users directories !
>
> Can somebody give me a hit ?
> Thank you very much.

Some guesses:

1) Probably your locale is not set up correctly.
2) try "dos charset = cp437", "unix charset=ISO-8859-1" (the default for
unix charset is UTF-8).
3) If you do want to use UTF-8 (not recommended if you also run anything
other than SAMBA), you will have to rename files. You will be able to do
that in a batch with the "convmv" program:

http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/convmv-1.08.tar.gz

You will still have to convert all UNIX txt files to UTF-8 with iconv
and throw Midnight Commander out of the window, if you adopt the
solution (3).
--
Alexander E. Patrakov