[Samba] Printing help from Windows XP

Rohan Gilchrist rohan at e-mailme.org
Wed Sep 1 01:18:00 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to get priting working from a Windows XP box to a printer
that's been shared via SAMBA.

I can browse the printer fine, and can print fine from linux, but not from
Windows.

The following errors appear in the SAMBA log for the windows host I'm printing from:

lp: unable to print file: client-error-not-found
lpstat: Unknown destination "level3-bw"!

The error_log for CUPS, reports:

print_job: resource name '/printers/lvl3-bw' no good!

For reference, here's my smb.conf:

[global]
         netbios name = HOMER
         server string = HOMER
         workgroup = HOMENET
         passdb backend = tdbsam
         os level = 64
         preferred master = yes
         domain master = yes
         local master = yes
         security = user
         encrypt passwords = yes
         domain logons = yes
         logon path =
         logon drive =
         logon script = /home/netlogon/login.bat
         logon home =/home/%u
         wins support = yes
         dns proxy = no
         add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -g users -s /sbin/nologin -c "Samba user" %u
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g machines -s /dev/null -c "SAMBA Machine Account" %u
         delete user script = /usr/sbin/userdel %u
         delete user from group script = /usr/sbin/deluser %u %g
         delete group script = /usr/sbin/groupdel %g
         log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
         max log size = 50
         load printers = yes
         printing = CUPS
         admin users = root rohan administrator

[netlogon]
    comment = Network Logon Service
    path = /home/netlogon
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    share modes = no

[profiles]
    comment = Roaming Profile Share
    path = /home/profiles
    read only = No
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700
    csc policy = manual

[lvl3-bw]
comment = level 3 printer
path = /var/spool/samba/
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
printable = Yes
printer name = level3-bw

Help please, I'm pulling my hair out over this.

Rohan Gilchrist
rohan at e-mailme.org
http://www.e-mailme.org/~rohan/
0412 648 909

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are privileged and
confidential information intended for the use of the addressee. The
confidentiality and/or privilege in this e-mail is not waived, lost or
destroyed if it has been transmitted to you in error. If you have received
this e-mail in error you must:
(a) not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it;
(b) please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail; and
(c) please delete the original e-mail.

Except as required by law, we do not represent, warrant and/or guarantee
that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that the
communication is free of errors, virus, interception, inference or
interference.