[Samba] Samba 3.0.6 Problem access with Microsoft visio and XL files

Kasi Viswanadham x00vkasi at india.ti.com
Sat Oct 30 10:59:02 GMT 2004

Hi,
we have samba server with version 3.0.6. we are facinga peciular
problem. on unix machine the user and  his group got full permission
and  others don't have any permissions (770) on a particular file . when
he is trying to access it  from windows he couldn't open the file.
especially we are facing this problem with  Microsoft visio (.vsd) and
Microsoft XL (.xls) files.

Eg: when user try to access the Microsoft XL file in his  home directory
from  windows with the 770 permissions , He is  getting the following
error.

*'<file_name>' cannot be accessed. The file may be read-only,or you may
be trying to access a read-only location .Or,the server the document is
stored on may not be responding.*

He is accessing it from windows XP machine as follows..

start --> run-->\\sambaserver\<user_home_dir>

He is able to browse his home directory but he couldn't open that file.

If he gives the read permission for "others" than he is able to open the
files.

Eg: If the file got the permission 774 than the user able to open that
file.

I did all the workaround regarding this like adding the user to
coressponding groups in windows also where he belongs into unix but no
use !!!!

we have other servers also with version 2.2.8a, but we are not facing on
it.

Can anyone help , please ?

Regards
kasi