[Samba] Re: Trusting and trusted domain (home mapping) problem

Adrian Chow achow at uwcsea.edu.sg
Fri Oct 29 12:06:54 GMT 2004

Hi Igor,

Once again, thanks for keeping up with me.  I have been migrating my
master ldap server to 2.1 version so to keep it the same with the PDCs
version of LDAP.  Now they are the same.

I have rectified such that "wbinfo -u" on both sides worked now.  I am
made "net rpc trustdom list" worked.  It was not working before.  I had
to put "stuadmin = root" in the student PDC's smbusers file.  And I had
to put "Administrator = root" in the staff's PDC's smbusers file to get
the "net rpc trustdom list" to work.  I did not have a uid=root you see.

Now "net use x: /home" by the Dom B user (grade2 in this case) on the
Domain_A_machine still does not work.  The /var/log/samba/Dom_A_machine
from the Domain_A_PDC will be sent separately as I don want to post it
on the lists.
The /var/log/samba/Domain_A_PDC from Domain_B_PDC will be sent to you too.

My view on the logs
---------------------
I believe by reading it, it will hold the key why it did not work.  I
believe during authentication, Domain_A_PDC got the information of
Domain_B_user from Domain_B_PDC properly.  But it cannot find
Domain_B\Domain_B_user in the Get_Pwnam_internals function.  It can only
find Domain_B_user in the Get_Pwnam_internals function!  Now because it
finds Domain_B_user and not Domain_B\Domain_B_user, Domain_A_PDC will
NOT use the data that it has gotten from the Domain_B_PDC.

Now, I then think that it has something to do with libnssldap.conf,
pam_ldap.conf and ldap.conf file.

Here is my config:-
libnssldap.conf, pam_ldap.conf and ldap.conf is configured to see both
domain's data.
On the smb.conf, the ldapsam backend is ONLY seeing its own domain data.
"getent passwd" on either PDC will see both domain's users.
my nsswitch.conf is doing "compat ldap" rather than "compat winbind".
Hence "getent passwd" will then give user as "domain_b_user" rather than
"domain_B\domain_b_user".

Is this the right way to do it?  If I make sure the "getent passwd" is
ONLY seeing its own domain ,then I cannot login into the other domain !!

Hope when I sent you the files, you will be able to help.  Thanks for
giving that hope that you made it working before.  Thanks for not
posting up the logs and the conf files.

Cheers,

adrian