[Samba] pam_ldap for unix accounts, smbpassword for samba?

Misty Stanley-Jones misty at borkholder.com
Thu Oct 28 16:08:23 GMT 2004

Is this setup possible?  I am converting an old server to look on LDAP for its
UNIX account info.  I am able to auth in every way with a LDAP-only user
(login, telnet, ssh, su).  However, after adding the user with smbpasswd -a,
the password doesn't work:

[root at furnsrv log]# smbpasswd -a testuser
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user testuser.
[root at furnsrv log]# smbclient -L furnsrv -U testuser
Password:
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
[root at furnsrv log]# su testuser
Password:
sh-2.05b$

Any help with this would be appreciated.  I'm not ready to move the SAMBA side
of things over to LDAP just yet.

Thanks,
Misty