[Samba] Samba PDC in many branch offices + one LDAP database - how to change passwords?

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Oct 28 15:07:48 GMT 2004

> Heh, ask at OpenLDAp group, they point you to Samba group; ask at
> Samba group, they point you back to OpenLDAP :)

That's partially the fault of your approach to the problem.  You're
trying to eat all the meals for the day at once.  Try to get ldap
working fine at the system level (breakfast) then once you have that
foundation laid you can start layering on dependant services like samba,
mail, apache auth, etc. (dinner, supper, midnight snack).

> "From my (limited) knowledge of samba (3.0.X), it allows to configure
> both the slave and the master DSA for users storage,

Nope, it only allows you to specify one. Well really you can put in more
than one, but there isn't anything to specify which is master/slave,
they're all just 'there'.  That is why you need to have your LDAP
structure working first, it will handle referring the updates.
smbldap-tools will allow you to specify master and slave so that it
writes to the master directly for useradds and such.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322