[Samba] Samba PDC in many branch offices + one LDAP database - how to change passwords?

Paul Gienger pgienger at ae-solutions.com
Thu Oct 28 14:08:27 GMT 2004

> As it is relatively easy to have one LDAP database across all office
> branches, I don't know how to make Samba 3 to read/retrieve
> usernames/passwords from local OpenLDAP slave, but to write added
> machines/changed passwords to the master OpenLDAP server (which would
> then replicate the changes to all its slaves).

If you have the smbldap-tools configured properly with the right master
and slave set, then adding machines is not a problem.  Changing
passwords is also not a problem provided you have LDAP referrals set up
properly.  Setting up referrals is really more of a question for the
openldap folks, and probably covered in the setup guide at openldap.

Paul Gienger                    Office: 701-281-1884
Applied Engineering Inc.
Systems Architect               Fax:    701-281-1322