[Samba] Incorrect disk size

Frank Rademakers frank.rademakers at home.nl
Wed Oct 27 17:04:45 GMT 2004

Hi, all

I'm running multiple Debian stable/untested (2.2 kernel) with Samba 3
servers, and since about half a year I have a very frustrating problem
with all of them: Windows 2000/XP clients report the size of the disks
in PB (petabytes), while the largest one is 120GB.

This causes a lot of general problems, with some applications reporting
"disk full" errors.

I have searched the internet many times, but I have been unable to find
a solution, although there seem to be a lot of other people who have the
same problem. This is really frustrating, and the only advice I can get
for it is: upgrade everything, starting with a 2.6 kernel.

While I do upgrade things regulary, as I am managing all of them
remotely, "just" installing new kernels everywhere is not an option (and
I haven't found a good way to do that with a large chance of success on
the first try on random hardware anyway).

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem and what I could do about
it? Thanks!