[Samba] Dreaded ERROR 5 In Robocopy

Chris Laco claco at summitracing.com
Tue Oct 26 13:02:56 GMT 2004

I'm still battling the dreaded "ERROR 5 (0x00000005)" error when trying to
robocopy files from a W2K box to Samba 3.0.7 on FreeBSD.
I've been fighting this since Samba 2.2.8 and the upgrade hasn't fixed it
for me despite the entries in the changlelog.

Now here's the strange part. If robocopy is sending NEW files, files which
are on W2K but not on the Samba box, the copy proceeds just fine. If
robocopy is trying to replace an older file on Samba with a newer file from
W2K, it will copy the file and bail at 97% with the ERROR 5 message.

To make matters worse, if I map a drive from the W2K box to the Samba server
using the same user name the robocopy is running as, new files work, deletes
work, and overwrites work. That leads me to believe it's not a
directory/file permissions issue.

At this point I'm way stumped.

Here's the share config:

[Inetpub]
        comment         =       Internet Storage
        path            =       /home/www/wwwroot
        public          =       yes
        writeable       =       yes
        printable       =       no
        force group     =       developers
        directory mode  =       0775
        create mode     =       0664
        valid users     =       +developers automated
        default case    =       lower
        preserve case   =       no

Thanks,
-=Chris