[Samba] Yet another charset problem

Peter Hanappe hanappe at csl.sony.fr
Tue Oct 26 11:14:52 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am well aware that the charset problem has been discussed many times
over. But after two days of googling and testing, I did not make any
progress.  I am mounting Windows XP Pro shares with french filenames
on a Linux.  The linux is a 2.4.27 kernel with the following settings:

CONFIG_SMB_FS=y
CONFIG_SMB_NLS_DEFAULT=y
CONFIG_SMB_NLS_REMOTE="UTF8"
CONFIG_SMB_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS=y
CONFIG_NLS_DEFAULT="UTF8"
CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_850=y
CONFIG_NLS_ISO8859_1=y
CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y

I am using smbmount version 3.0.7-Debian. I am creating new files on
the windows machine (with french accents) then mount the share on
Linux and do an 'ls'. So far, the output from 'ls' replaces the
accents with a '?'. Below are all the combinations of settings I have
tried so far.

Any hints are more than welcome!

Many thanks,
Peter

smb.conf:
[global]
	# unix charset not specified
	# display charset not specified
	# dos charset not specified

smbmount # no options
smbmount -o iocharset=iso8859-1
smbmount -o codepage=cp850
smbmount -o codepage=utf8
smbmount -o iocharset=utf8

smb.conf:
[global]
	unix charset = UTF8
	display charset = UTF8
	dos charset = cp850

smbmount # no options
smbmount -o codepage=cp850
smbmount -o codepage=utf8
smbmount -o iocharset=utf8
smbmount -o iocharset=iso8859-1

smb.conf:
[global]
	unix charset = ISO8859-1
	display charset = ISO8859-1
	dos charset = cp850

smbmount # no options
smbmount -o iocharset=iso8859-1
smbmount -o iocharset=iso8859-1 codepage=utf8
smbmount -o iocharset=iso8859-1 codepage=cp850