[Samba] automatically authenticate domain logged-on users in apache with AD/NTDOM?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Oct 25 12:03:09 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-23 at 06:47, awilliam at whitemice.org wrote:
> > What I want is to skip the login prompt and instead authenticate using a
> > NTLM/Kerberos ticket...
>
> Yes.

> > > On the server side - yes, even current versions of SASL support NTLM.
> > Hmm, but there's no mod_sasl around, so I don't see how that will help?
>
> No, you don't use SASL for apache, but you might for Cyrus, etc...
>
> Squid has it's own NTLM support,  several mechanism exist for doing NTLM
> or GSSAPI via apache.
>
> http://modntlm.sourceforge.net/

Unfortunately mod_ntlm has problems, and the NTLMSSP it implements is
quite basic.  As such, I've brought mod_ntlm_winbindd up to scratch
(which now uses Samba's ntlm_auth, like Squid does):

http://dp.samba.org/ftp/unpacked/lorikeet/trunk/mod_ntlm_winbind/

That is for Apache 1.3, and someday I'll get some time to write an
apache2 version.  Such a task would start with http://source.grep.no/
but if you look at mod_ntlm_winbind, you can see that a lot of stuff can
be cleaned out.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org