[Samba] Samba and "running old wbinfo, pam_winbind or libnss_winbind clients"

Jason Oakley Jason.Oakley at aapt.com.au
Mon Oct 25 05:53:41 GMT 2004

I've just installed the Samba 3.0.7 on my FreeBSD box.

I am trying to authenticate it to the Active Directory (for my Squid
server).

When I go to a webpage using the squid server, I get this error from
Samba's Winbind:

Oct 25 15:33:39 eclipse winbindd[61830]: [2004/10/25 15:33:39, 0]
nsswitch/winbindd.c:process_loop(737)
Oct 25 15:33:39 eclipse winbindd[61830]:   process_loop: Invalid request
size from pid 61926: 1304 bytes sent, should be 1824
Oct 25 15:33:39 eclipse winbindd[61830]:   process_loop: Invalid request
size from pid 61926: 1304 bytes sent, should be 1824
Oct 25 15:33:39 eclipse winbindd[61830]:   This usually means that you
are running old wbinfo, pam_winbind or libnss_winbind clients
Oct 25 15:33:39 eclipse winbindd[61830]:   This usually means that you
are running old wbinfo, pam_winbind or libnss_winbind clients

Repeated over and over and over again in my log file.

I've looked in the archive and the only answer given so far was "nscd"
which I don't believe is running on FreeBSD servers anyway. In any case,
I don't run nscd on my server.

I can authenticate using the test commands from the website:
# ntlm_auth --helper-protocol=squid-2.5-basic
mydomain+myuser mypasswd
OK

# wbinfo -t
checking the trust secret via RPC calls succeeded

This is all on a brand new install of Samba on a box which hasn't had
anything but Samba 3 on it.

Any clues?

Thanks.
Jason Oakley
Robina Helpdesk
AAPT Limited
Ph: 07 5562 4359

Jason.Oakley at aapt.com.au

This communication, including any attachments, is confidential. If
 you are not the intended recipient, you should not read it - please
 contact me immediately, destroy it, and do not copy or use any part of
 this communication or disclose anything about it.