[Samba] Samba 3 + LDAP as PDC - which tutorial / HOWTO to use?

Tomasz Chmielewski mangoo at interia.pl
Fri Oct 22 18:51:21 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm struggling with setting Samba 3 + OpenLDAP as a PDC.

I had no problems with setting Samba 3 as a PDC (I could join domain,
users could log in, machines were added automatically, roaming profiles
worked etc.).

But when it comes to setting Samba 3 + OpenLDAP as a PDC, I'm stuck - I
can join a domain, but can't log in as a user; Samba logs say user auth
was successful, but Windows say user/password were wrong (so at least I
*feel* that I'm close).

All the howtos I used were either outdated, or inaccurate, or something
was missing, or I'm just stupid (as I'm still unable to get Samba 3 +
OpenLDAP to work).

Which documents did you use to set up Samba 3 + OpenLDAP to work as a PDC?

I already tried:

1) Using an LDAP Directory for Samba Authentication form
ibm.com/developerWorks

2) Samba (v.3) PDC LDAP howto - it uses Samba 2 smb.conf conf files, and
is "Redhat 5..." - very messy in all - from
http://www.unav.es/cti/ldap-smb/smb-ldap-3-howto.html

3) The Linux Samba-OpenLDAP Howto (Revision: 1.6 ) from
http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-howto.en.html

But I'm still unable to make it all work :(

Tomek