[Samba] automatically authenticate domain logged-on users in apache with AD/NTDOM?

Palle Girgensohn girgen at pingpong.net
Fri Oct 22 16:49:34 GMT 2004

Hi!

I don't use MS products at all, so I have very little knowledge with them,
but I believe Microsoft has as protocol where Internet Explorer can
automatically authenticate against an IIS server, and given that the server
and client are on the same NT domain, and the client user is logged in to
that domain, the user is automatically logged in without the need to give
away the password one more time to the webserver.

What is happening between the web server & the web client? Is the protocol
open or reverse engineered? Can this authentication be done using apache @
unix (perhaps by apache interacting with samba somehow)?

Any ideas or links to more info about this would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

/Palle