[Samba] Browsing between linux boxes - clarification

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 15:57:33 GMT 2004

On Friday 22 Oct 2004 16:11, Holger Krull wrote:
> > /home/anne/smb4k/DAVID/Public is the mountpoint on the box that is trying
> > to umount access to /Public on this box.
>
> I have now idea why the server should know anything about the client
> mountpoint. I suspect something wrong there. But i mount by hand or
> fstab.

Could you give me an example mount line?  I've never hand-mounted anything
like an smbfs.

> Btw what does mount say on your client?

none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
//ANNE-LINUX/public on /home/david/smb4k/ANNE-LINUX/public type smbfs (0)

> But i now found a system where a error similar to yours has been
> reported. That means problems unmounting, disapearing mountpoint and
> io-errors on accessing the mounted dir. But so far now reliable way to
> reproduce it on that system (it is a debian sarge client, samba on the
> server is 3.06).

At least there is one common point there, we both have 3.0.6 on the server.

> We suspect network errors as the cause of the problem, but nothing solid
> yet.
> Adding
> SO_KEEPALIVE
> to the socket options seems to help.

OK - I've put that in, but it doesn't seem to help.

In case I have not made it clear -

From the client - open smb4k
Mount /Public - OK
Umount /Public - OK

Mount /Public - OK
Browse /Public - OK
Umount /Public - will not umount - device or resource busy!

HTH

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302