[Samba] Archive bit not changed if not owner?

John Perazo random at ductape.net
Fri Oct 22 02:58:51 GMT 2004

> | On the other hand, if I modify a file that is owned by someone else, the
> | archive bit doesn't get set - any ideas on why this is?
>
> set 'dos filemode = yes' in the share.

Thanks Jerry, but I've already got that set - as I said in my initial
message, this is part of my smb.conf:

---------------------------------------
[shared]
    comment = Shared stuff
    path = /data/shared
    public = yes
    create mask = 0774
    force create mode = 0777
    directory mask = 0700
    force directory mode = 0775

    #allow anyone to change the archive bit
    dos filemode = yes

setting "dos filemode = yes" allows me to set the archive bits on other
people's files manually, but it doesn't get set automatically when I
modify a file owned by someone else as in Windows.

John