[Samba] Re: smbfs mount issues

Jason Pirok payrok at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 18:51:24 GMT 2004

yeah, for some reason the connection would terminate.  I guess I
should have replied earlier, but I found a slightly simpler way around
this problem.

It seems that microsoft is offering is 'Services for Unix' free for
download from their website.  I installed that a couple days ago and
everythings fine mounting the new NFS share on my box.

This solution still requires a bit of configuration on the part of the
windows server, but on the linux side of things, it's a lot smoother
to integrate.  I'm not the best at describing features of products,
and I've not used it for long, but this product provides NFS NIS and
password syncronization with unix machines.

In closing I guess this would be a viable workaround for those
experiencing difficulties with winXP and the newer versions of smbfs
and cifs.  Thanks for all the help.

Jason