[Samba] offline files sync delay and Windows XP SP2

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Mon Oct 18 17:20:30 GMT 2004

I'm scratching my head at the following issue that surfaced with Windows
XP Prof. + SP2.  First, a summary of my configuration:

. Running Samba 3.0.7 in a LDAP-based PDC configuration, and with
separate machine as member server for home directories.
. The OS for PDC is Mandrake 9.2, the file server (FILES) is Mandrake 10.0.
. 1000BaseT Ethernet.

With XP SP1 and Samba 3.0.7 or prior, offline files work normally.
Immediately after the application of SP2, about a minute delay (~67
seconds) is seen before the offline files sync operation actually does
anything.   This is easily replicated - back out SP2, delay goes away.
Reapply it, delay reappears.  I've found no other leads on this issue so
far.  Some facts:

. Behaves same way in SP2 whether client Windows firewall is enabled or
disabled.  In fact, I have it enabled in SP1 and offline files work
fine.  In any case, nothing is logged as being blocked when it was on
and logging enabled.
. I also see nothing odd in packet captures - the client just seems to
sit there; no network traffic is seen while it pauses, nor is there any
obvious unreplied-to query from the client.
. Doesn't matter whether the target server is FILES or PDC.  (I have
shares and offline files enabled on both/either.)
. No problems accessing network drives with either SP - this just
affects offline files sync.

Searching the samba archives, the closest issue noted has to do with
similar delays waiting to print and something about the client expecting
a connection back, and mention of it being an unresolved issue in Samba
3.0.7 and 2.2.12.  Maybe related?

My smb.conf files for the pdc and file server are attached FYI.   They
both run in a high-availability configuration and so are set to talk
only on their respective HA interfaces (caused no problems of itself).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave