[Samba] Re: page_log: no entries when printing from samba

Karsten Dello dello at mi.fu-berlin.de
Sat Oct 16 15:36:50 GMT 2004

dear list,

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 11:23:05PM -0400, Igor Belyi wrote:
> Have you tried to print from the same machine where cups-server runs
> without invoking Samba? If it has the same problem - you will need to
> ask help on cups list: http://www.cups.org/newsgroups.php

no, everything works fine when using cups directly
(on the local machine or via ipp from another linux box)

i have worked some more on that problem:
with one of our  printers it works fine!
but with the majority of our printers it does not;
so it seems to be a ppd-related problem
(because that is the only difference i can see).

i have found a cups-newsgroup-post which says that
"The page log is normally maintained by the pstops filter (that is the
only one in a PostScript only configuration that may have an idea
of how many pages get printed), bot only if the printer's PPD has no
*cupsFilter: "..." entry. In the altter case the filter(s) specified
in the PPD are responsible for writing to the page log."

that corresponds to my experiences;
the only printer i have that works is a kyocera 1020,
whose ppd  does not have a "cupsFilter"-entry.

i might have a conceptual problem with my understanding of how cups works.

any concrete suggestion which driver to use for a hp laserjet 4200 e.g.?
all ppds for that printer
(LaserJet_4200-gimp-print-ijs,
LaserJet_4200-Postscript,LaserJet_4200-gimp-print,
LaserJet_4200-pxlmono,
and LaserJet_4200-hpijs)
include a line *cupsFilter:    "application/vnd.cups-postscript 0
foomatic-rip".

any help would be appreciated,

karsten