[Samba] NetBios problem with Samba 2.x

Nate Schindler nate at riconcorp.com
Fri Oct 15 18:30:09 GMT 2004

I'm in a bit of a pickle, and I need some help.

I'm forced to disable netbios on any machine that leaves the company because of how MS Exchange works over a VPN.
I have Samba 2.x on two Compaq Tru64 5.x machines, each with one (public) share.

With netbios enabled, the client machines can access the share with no issues.  With netbios disabled, I get something like "No network provider accepted the given network path."

DNS is working fine - the clients resolve the Samba machines, and the Samba machines resolve the clients.

I've tried stabbing at the config a few times with things like the dns proxy setting, wins proxy, wins server, security type, etc. - no luck.

I have absolutely no problem with accessing my Samba 3 system from a client with netbios disabled.

Anybody know what this might be?

Thanks,
Nate

PS - Actually, I'd love to install Samba 3 on these two problem systems, but it won't compile. :/