[Samba] Major Samba Battle

Tom Skeren tms3 at fskklaw.com
Fri Oct 15 15:16:33 GMT 2004

Brian Witowski wrote:

>I've been here before but I'm still battling with getting Samba to work
>right with my XP Pro clients.  In a nutshell, when I try to access a share,
>it asks for a username and password.  I enter a username and password and it
>simply goes right back to the prompt, asking again.  This is when it's set
>up as a domain controller.

This is a problem I have had.  Try mapping witn \\ip-addy\share-name.
If it works, then I think that it's a dns thing, i.e., the W2K machine
doesnot have the netbios name of the samba machine in DNS.  You might
also try making nmbd a master browser for netbios, then put

option netbios-name-servers   [samba-ip-addy]

and see if that helps.  I suspect a proper DNS entry on the W2K server
would solve the problem however.

TMS III