[Samba] Ugrade 2.2.8 to 3.0.7

Jason Pirok payrok at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 13:08:03 GMT 2004

> How do i upgrade samba 2.2.8 to the newest 3 version?
>
> Is there some documentation about upgrading?
>
> I am new to linux/samba
>
> Setup is debian 3, Samba 2.2.8

If you just finished installing debian, you're going to need to update
your sources.list file among other things.

By default debian only uses it's STABLE package repository which stays
quite a ways behind technology. They do that because these packages
are known to be good.

The way to get ahold of cutting edge packages is to use unstable
(which you should use with caution becasue so of these packages in
this repository may have bugs or other problems).

The best thing for you to do if you want 'the latest greatest'
packages is to search for some howto's on apt.  One catch I'll warn
you about before you modify your sources.list, is that your cache size
for apt,  be sure to google on that too.

I've run into all these problems and more and found that googling the
issue, a few helpful pointers from friends, and at the very end of my
rope, asking a mailing list has helped me solve most of my problems.
Always remember to google for the answer first.  You'll be suprised
what you find sometimes.

Jason