[Samba] can mount share, cannot join domain

Adrian Hicks Adrian.H at auston.edu.sg
Fri Oct 15 02:23:48 GMT 2004

Firstly, the man page says to use "add machine script"... AND

Can someone tell me why my thinking is wrong.  Isn't %u the username of the
current service, if any, as described in the smb.conf man page?

If so, why do the doc's (including the man page) put %u in the command for
adding a machine account to the UNIX side?

Doesn't the machine account need the NetBIOS name of the client, and isn't
this represented in Samba by %m?

Wouldn't the command for adding a machine be something more like (3.0.x):

add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -c Machine -d /dev/null -g 100  \
-s /bin/false %m

Can't test right now as our only 2000 machine is busy.  Can anyone else
confirm?

Adrian Hicks
--
MIS & Facilities Manager