[Samba] Roaming Profile & Folder Redirection Problems

Rich Edelman redelman at speedscript.com
Thu Oct 14 22:11:44 GMT 2004

Sorry about the top post...

John and list...

I have figured out what my problem was with Chaper 6 of Samba 3 By Example.
Table 6.3 (page 167 of the print copy) has some incorrect values. That table
says to set the Cache directory key, for example, to:
\\%LOGONSERVER%\profdata\%USERNAME%\InternetFiles

That is incorrect! The leading "\\" characters cause the profile path to be
unreachable, as I believe the path would then expand to:
\\\\SMB-PDC\profdata\testuser\InternetFiles. Removing the two leading \
characters fixed all my problems on both Windows 2000 and XP.

Both the print versions and the web versions of Samba 3 By Example have this
typo in multiple places in section 6.6.1. (Step 3 under "Redirect Folders In
Default User Profile" has it as an example of a network redirection that
contains a macro, as well as the aforementioned Table 6.3 errors.)

The web version of TOSHARG, Chapter 23, does not contain this error and is
what led me to figuring out what I was going incorrectly.

Rich Edelman