[Samba] non-local accounts...

Matthias Spork hallo at matthiasspork.de
Thu Oct 14 18:10:07 GMT 2004

Michael J Wilson schrieb:

> I am having problems, can join domain, add users, etc, etc no problem
> using samba 3.0.6 and ldap 2.2.17, have the ldap working fine with samba.
>
> The problem is that I cannot get this to work without having local
> unix accounts.

Every Samba-User must have a Unix-Account, but you can manage Local- and
Sambaaccounts in one LDAP-Tree.

> What is the easiest way to add ldap users without having to add local
> accounts as well?

In the most Samba-LDAP-PDC-HowTo's you can read, that you have to
authenticate the Unix AND the Samba by one LDAP-Tree.
The LDAP-Tree manage every Unix and Samba-Account in one container.

Please look at this:
http://samba.idealx.org/smbldap-howto.en.html

I use the web-based-Software LAM (http://lam.sourceforge.net/) to manage
my 500 Unix- and Sambaccount Users.