[Samba] Samba as PDC - Can't get user profiles to save properly

Felix Knoblach felix.knoblach at biomax.com
Thu Oct 14 10:07:19 GMT 2004

Greetings,

I'm running desperate on a problem with my windows user profiles here,
searched the net and read the docus alot but still no luck.

I've got an running Samba domain, an existing windows 2000 machine can
log into the domain properly. Furthermore, a test account is made
aswell, and the 2k machine is able to log in with that account. Now, my
problem is: When I try to change windows settings (like switch active
desktop to "on") or delete/rename icons from my desktop, log out and in
again, all changes are undone like they've been not saved on the server.
But if I create new icons on the desktop and relog, those are still there.

Additionally, when I right-click in some folder and choose "New->"
there's only "Folder" and "Link" to choose where you would expect things
like new text file etc.

Now, when I log in locally on the client as admin and add an domain-user
with the same name as my test user on the server, log out and back in on
the domain again, then it's possible to delete/rename icons on the
desktop, settings like active desktop can't be changed at all still though.

Access permissions on the home-folder of the user seem fine, I've even
tried mask 0777 just to see if it would work.

Sorry for the long story, but maybe somebody is able to recognize the
problem. I'm really running out of ideas what to try next...

Thanks alot

Felix

----------
Append: My original smb.conf

# Global parameters
[global]
         # Base Options
         workgroup = SAMBA
         netbios name = PDC
         server string = Samba %v (PDC) @ biomax.de
         interfaces = eth0

         # Security Options
         security = user
         #encypted passwords = yes
         update encrypted = Yes
         passdb backend = smbpasswd
         unix password sync = yes
         passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
         passwd chat = *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n
*successfully*
         allow trusted domains = yes
#       password server = ALBERICH
         password server = PDC

         # Logging Options
         log level = 2
         log file = /var/log.%m

         # Tuning Options
         deadtime = 15

         # Logon Options
         add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g ntclient
-s /bin/false -M %u
         logon script = logon.bat
         logon path = \\%L\profile\%u
         logon home = \\%N\%U