[Samba] Printing to shared printer using a Mac (OSX)

Monty poison at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 14 04:10:57 GMT 2004

I am using Mandrake 10 as a file and print server on for my home network.  All
of my PC clients can print successfully  to the epson stylus c60 that I have
attached to the printer.  My Mac, using OS X (10.3) cannot.  It says that it
cannot find the printer ..   Is there a special setting that I must use in
the smb.conf file?

#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
        load printers = yes
        passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *ReType*new*UNIX*password* %n\n
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=32768 SO_SNDBUF=65536
        encrypt passwords = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        dns proxy = no
        server string = Samba Server
        printing = cups
        unix password sync = Yes
        workgroup = Southpark
        printcap name = lpstat
        security = user
        max log size = 500
        use sendfile = no

 [homes]
 comment = Home Directories
 browseable = no
 writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /var/lib/samba/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

#Uncomment the following 2 lines if you would like your login scripts to
#be created dynamically by ntlogon (check that you have it in the correct
#locationn (the default of the ntlogon rpm available in contribs)
;root preexec = /usr/bin/ntlogon -u %U -g %G -o %a -d /var/lib/samba/netlogon
;root postexec = rm -f /var/lib/samba/netlogon/%U.bat

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /var/lib/samba/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a CUPS print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer.
# You must configure the samba printers with the appropriate Windows
# drivers on your Windows clients. On the Samba server no filtering is
# done. If you wish that the server provides the driver and the clients
# send PostScript ("Generic PostScript Printer" under Windows), you have
# to swap the 'print command' line below with the commented one.
;[printers]
;comment = All Printers
;path = /var/spool/samba
;browseable = no
# to allow user 'guest account' to print.
;guest ok = yes
;writable = no
;printable = yes
;create mode = 0700
# =====================================
# print command: see above for details.
# =====================================
;print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use generic
PostScript on clients).
;print command = lpr-cups -P %p %s # using cups own drivers (use generic
PostScript on clients).
;lpq command = lpstat -o %p
;lprm command = cancel %p-%j

# This share is used for Windows NT-style point-and-print support.
# To be able to install drivers, you need to be either root, or listed
# in the printer admin parameter above. Note that you also need write access
# to the directory and share definition to be able to upload the drivers.
# You must disable (by commenting out) the share above if you enable this.
# For more information on this, please see the Printing Support Section of
# /usr/share/doc/samba-2.2.1a/docs/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.pdf
# Please note that this has not yet been tested as packaged here with CUPS.
[print$]
        writeable = yes
        user = usera,userb,userc
        path = /var/lib/samba/printers