[Samba] Access rights for one user only?

John Vaughan jvaughan at maad.com
Wed Oct 13 21:57:07 GMT 2004

I currently have samba-2.2.7-3.7.3 running on a Redhat 7.3 machine. I
have a share setup called Share1 and within this share are numerous
directories which are accessible by all authenticated Windows NT server
clients.

My question is:

I have one user out of 100 employees that should be able to access some
of the directories within Share1 but NOT other directories. Is there a
way to limit access to certain directories within this public Share and
allow for access to other directories within this public share? If so
please provide a descriptive answer.

I'm under the impression I could create a group with all 99 employees
and chgrp the directories only they can access (thus denying access to
the one employee) but this seems like an administrative nightmare. I
realize I could deny access to this public share using this employees'
host name but is there a smb.conf entry in the share definition secton
that would allow access to other directories in the share? Or am I
totally on the wrong track?

Thank You