[Samba] Bad lockout attempt recorded 2x

Jeremy Bender jeremy.bender at baesystems.com
Wed Oct 13 18:39:22 GMT 2004

All,
I built and installed 3.0.7.  I am trying to finalize my setup by
limiting the user to 3 failed logon attempts.
I used:
./pdbedit -P "bad lockout attempt" -C 3
This works fine for all users EXCEPT for the user with a matching
Windows user name. In other words,
if my windows user name is 'bender' and my samba user name is 'bender'
the number of Bad logon attempts
will continue to increment as other accounts logon's fail.

Example:
I logon to my Windows box as 'bender'
I also have the samba users 'bob', 'chuck' and 'bender'.  If I Map a
Share as bob and mess up twice (or once) and then
successfully logon, the 'Bad password count' for 'bob' will correctly be
0, but for bender it will be 2.  If I logon
as 'chuck' and mess up once - 'bender' is now locked out!!  Not only
that, all the shares on my samba server are
locked out to EVERYONE until I either remove user 'bender' or
./pdbedit -z -c='[]' bender

I included smb.conf below although I doubt this matters much.

Thanks for any help!
Bender

# Global parameters
[global]
        netbios name = SAMBA
        min passwd length = 8
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat debug = Yes
        log level = 2
        load printers = No
        show add printer wizard = No
        logon script = notice.bat
        os level = 35
        preferred master = No
        ldap ssl = no
        winbind use default domain = Yes
        directory security mask = 0700
        hosts allow = XX.XX.XX.XX/255.255.252.0, locahost

[some_dir]
        comment = XXX
        path = /usr/local/
        read only = No