[Samba] NT and XP clients cannot reach Samba PDC

M Middleton middleton.m at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 14:30:03 GMT 2004

When attempting to join my domain, the NT 4 Workstation and XP Pro
clients cannot contact the domain controller.  The Samba server is
running normally, and can be connected to via IP address, but not by
name.  Additionally, when I set up a DNS, it still could not contact
the Samba server.  The clients and server are on the same subnet.

I have read as much as I could find on configuring Samba as a PDC, but
thus far have found nothing that has solved my problem.

Below is a copy of my smb.conf file.  Any assistance is appreciated.  Thanks!

[global]
netbios name = THOR
workgroup = ASGARD
server string = Thor at Asgard
encrypt passwords = yes
status = yes
wins support = yes
passdb backend = smbpasswd
os level = 64
prefered master = yes
domain master = yes
local master = yes
security = user
domain logons = yes
logon path = \\%N\profiles\%u
logon drive = S:
logon home = \\homeserver\%u\winprofile
#logon script = logon.cmd
domain admin group = root
unix password sync = yes
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New*Password* %n\n *Please*Retype*New*Password* %n\n
*Password*Updated*

[netlogon]
comment = Samba PDC Logon Scripts and Policies
path = /etc/samba/netlogon
read only = yes
write list = ntadmin

[profiles]