[Samba] openldap2 + samba3 user changed password on BDC wouldn't sync with PDC

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 13 03:34:37 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 13:44, Bella Wong wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am newbie on this and I couldn't figure out what I have configured wrong.
>
> I have setup three Linux Debian Sarge servers with openldap2 + samba3.
> PDC and master ldap on one machine and BDC slave ldap on the other two.
> I followed instructions on
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html to set them up.
> I am using utilities smbldap-passwd.pl from idealx for password changing.
>
> User could change password on PDC and it will populate to DBC, but when the
> user change password on BDC, it will not populate to PDC.

> # The following part is for slave slapd
> updatedn "cn=Manager,dc=cas,dc=edu,dc=au"

See, it all seems to easy to just use the same DN, but you *must* use a
*separate* 'replicator' DN.  Otherwise the salve cannot tell the
difference between the local samba and the replications - samba relies
on being told to 'go elsewhere' to update the master first.

Andrew Bartlett

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at samba.org
Authentication Developer, Samba Team            http://samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net