[Samba] Samba 3.0.7 vs MIT Kerberos and tickets renewal...

Melfi.Marcello at hydro.qc.ca Melfi.Marcello at hydro.qc.ca
Tue Oct 12 21:08:09 GMT 2004

Hi,

I am using (trying to...) Samba 3.0.7 in ADS security mode.

I have followed the instructions found in the Samba How-To doc regarding the
this security mode. So, I have setup the /etc/krb5.conf, ran the "kinit"
command to get the TGT ticket and added the samba machine to the AD with the
"net ads join" command.

I am mainly using Samba so that a share is available for Windows machine
which are running an application that generates and exports (to the Samba
share) many data files on a regular basis, every days of the week, every
weeks of the month, every months of the year... How does Samba handles/works
with Kerberos? In our case, nobody really have to log on to the Samba
machine. By that, I mean that whether it is a Windows user or an application
running in the background on a Windows machine, nobody logs on directly to
the Unix box. So, how are the Kerberos tickets handled/renewed? Manual
tickets renewal is not really an option here!

Am I missing some Kerberos configuration files and/or configuration
parameters?

Regards,

Marcello Melfi