[Samba] Performance Issues with GBit LAN

Steffen Timmermann STEX20 at inetmx.de
Tue Oct 12 16:34:15 GMT 2004

Hi.

I have 2 PC's connected with 1GBit NIC's. When I transfer a file from my File-Server(Redhat9.0, 256 SD-RAM, 300MHz PII, RTL8169 NIC, 2x Western Digital WD200JB RAID 0) to my Windows-PC(AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 1024 MB DDR-RAM, WINXP PRO, RTL8169 NIC, 2x Western Digital WD080JB RAID 0) with Samba, i get Speeds around 8-9MB/sec. I think this is too low for an GBit Network, so i tested the NIC's with the Tool Iperf (http://dast.nlanr.net/Projects/Iperf/) and the throughput with this tool is 300 Mbit/sec, so I think, i can get 20 MB/sec with Samba. The Bottleneck why its only 300 Mbit is the "old" File-Server Hardware. I'm using CAT 6 Cables and a 8-Port GBit Switch. The Cards are running both at GBit speeds, as the Switch shows. So what's the reason for this Performance issues?

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Greets,

Steffen Timmermann