[Samba] Roaming Profile & Folder Redirection Problems

Richard Michael rmichael at fields.utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 11 16:56:35 GMT 2004

Hi Rich,

I have also built my XP clients w/ RP+FolderRedir.

I haven't seen all the problems you've described, but am having my own
share of difficulties.  I'd be interested if you encounter them, see my
earlier post (a few days back) if you're curious.

> 1) After a Windows XP user logs out for the first time, upon next
> login they get an error message saying "Windows cannot log you in
> because your profile cannot be loaded." Deleting the NTUSER.DAT file
> for that user allows that user to log in again.

I haven't seen this, but have read notes about the accumulation of .tmp
in the profile (Windows creates them) files possibly causing this
problem.  Are you seeing .tmp files if you look at the profile, during
or after logoff (but prior to the next logon)?

> 2) It doesn't appear like the default user profile (located in
> /var/lib/samba/netlogon/Default User/) is getting used for anything,
> as when I log in for the first time and view the registry any changes
> that I made for the default user are not there!

What profile is used for the new user?  For example, is XP copying the
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User profile?  Perhaps it's not
finding your [netlogon] share?  You've verified all permissions on the
Unix side and in the smb.conf file?  Can you see the profile being
copied if you sniff smb or read the logs?

Also, you can turn on quite a bit of logging in XP by setting this reg
key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
  = [REG_DWORD] UserEnvDebugLevel = 0x30002

The log file is in C:\Windows\Debug\UserMode .. (if memory serves..)

I can compare perms and settings with you if it helps, my [netlogon]
profile is used properly.

Also, are you doing anything with Group Policy items on the XP side that
would altered your expected Default User environment?  (The logging
above will show you this..)

Evidently, XP wants client side caching on the profile location
disabled (I saw complaints in the Event Log).  Perhaps this is causing
problems?  To do so, add to the [profiles] section of smb.conf:

  csc policy = disabled

I don't think Terpstra's book mentions this but it's in the smb.conf man
page.

> 3) This one will probably be solved by #2 above, but whenever a user
> logs out, there is that stupid 'synchronizing' window, even though all
> profile folders have been redirected to a network drive. Why?

Isn't this Offline Files on the XP side?  I have disabled this at the
system level, because I didn't want user's dealing with any sync
problems.  Have you disabled Offline File Caching for at least the
folders you have redirected?  Try disabling it altogether; set this GP:

  Computer configuration
    Admin templates
      Network
        Offline files
          Allow or disallow use of offline files = Disabled

Let me know if any of this helps.  We compare configs more closely if it
will help.

Cheers,
Richard